Earlier this week, I mentioned over on my Instagram account how this year has been full of travel for me. I'm not going to lie, I love traveling but I am definitely a creature of habit and I love my little routine at home. Being out and about so much this year has put me a little bit outside of my comfort zone (not to mention I am also pregnant) but like everything, practice makes better. I've learned to navigate being away better and I wanted to share some advice with you all about how to feel good in your mind and body while being away from home.
Here are my top 10 tips on staying healthy while traveling:
1. If it's an option for you, replace one of your meals for a smoothie. I bring Shakeology with me always but I understand that not everyone drinks it. See if you can spot a smoothie shop around or make your own if you have access to a kitchen.
Fruit + healthy fat + milk of choice + ice and you're good to go!
2. Drink water constantly. Staying hydrated while traveling is super important and really helps your body stay regulated in terms of digestion and travel bloat.
3. Sneak in a hotel workout or an outdoor walk. It's probably more likely for you to do a morning workout while out of town so challenge yourself! Set your alarm clock a little bit earlier than you have planned and start your day moving your body. You will not regret it!
4. Vegetables are not always an option when you are eating out, if they are though, fill your plate with these bad boys. Another good alternative is to drink a green juice if you stumble upon one when you're out and about. Veggies are important!
5. Keep an eye out on what you drink during the day. You'll find yourself feeling tired and even more thirsty if you're drinking beverages that are high in sugar. Choose wisely! Coconut water, sparkling water and kombucha are great alternatives to sodas and coffee shop beverages.
6. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the freaking food! If something is traditional where you are traveling to, YOU HAVE TO TRY IT! Don't restrict, eating delicious food is an important part of a trip (in my opinion!). Remember this always, "what you do with consistency is what shapes you, not what you do from time to time." Live in the moment; order that ice cream cone!
7. Get between 6-8 hours of sleep per night. Rest is so important!
8. Carry some healthy snacks with you. Fruit, mixed nuts, larabars, these really come in handy!
9. Avoid the elevator; take the stairs. Trips usually require more movement and more walking than our daily routine provides. Boo-yah!
10. Share meals with someone. I firmly believe in listening to our bodies and following our cravings - I also know, though, that those cravings may not always be the healthiest. Craving lasagna? Split one with someone and order a side salad to balance the meal out. You will satisfy your craving without feeling overly full at the end of the meal. #winwin
Hope these are helpful to you all!